- Drought Restrictions
- Outdoor Conservation Programs & Rebates
- Indoor Programs & Rebates
- Commercial Programs & Rebates
- Large-Scale Retrofit Rebate
- Toilet Rebate Program
- Certified WaterSaver Program: Restaurants
- Irrigation Consultation Design Rebates
- Commercial Cooling Tower Audit
- Certified WaterSaver Program: Car Washes
- Power Washing
- Rain Sensors
- Charity Car Washes
- Irrigation Checkup
- Drought-Tolerant Grass Varieties
- Your Role in Conservation
- Conservation Case Studies
- Calendar of Events
- Request Information
Large-Scale Retrofit Rebate Program
Water conservation is one of the surest, most cost-effective ways San Antonio businesses can ensure our city's economic health — it's a shared investment in our future!
Who is Eligible?
All commercial, industrial, and institutional water users served by San Antonio Water System are eligible to apply for a rebate.
SAWS is Committed to Helping Your Business Save Water.
As a part of that commitment, SAWS is constantly seeking ways to reduce water consumption by providing economic incentives, in the form of rebates, to customers who choose to convert to water-saving equipment and practices.
With commercial customers accounting for a significant percentage of SAWS' annual water sales, there is great potential for achievement of water savings. Through the SAWS Commercial Large-Scale Retrofit Program, your business will receive a rebate of up to 50 percent of the installed cost of new water-saving equipment. This will reduce water consumption and maintain, or in many situations, actually increase productivity.
Examples of Equipment Changes Eligible for a Rebate:
- Replacement of water-cooled equipment with new air-cooled equipment
- Process water reclamation systems
- Air conditioning condensate capture and reuse
- Elimination of water Intensive phases of industrial processes
- Cooling Tower modifications
- Industrial laundry equipment upgrades
- Improvements in cleaning processes
The Commercial Large Scale Retrofit Program offers incentives, in the form of rebates, for SAWS General Class Customers instituting new water saving processes or installing new water saving equipment.
The Commercial Large Scale Retrofit Program is easily adaptable to any proposed retrofit project, ranging from dental vacuum conversions to large process water reclamation systems with costs in the millions of dollars. Because of its adaptability, the Commercial Large Scale Retrofit Program can be used as a tool for corporations conducting cost/benefit analysis on proposed projects.
The main goal of the Commercial Large Scale Retrofit Program is to shorten the payback period associated with large water saving projects, thus making their implementation more feasible from an economic standpoint.
What Determines the Amount of the Rebate?
The rebate, for up to one-half of the installed cost, is determined by the actual water savings, the life of the equipment, and the installed cost.
Simple Procedures to Follow:
- Download and fill out the Commercial Large-Scale Retrofit Rebate Program application.
- Along with the application, you will need to submit a proposal, such as an engineer's report, which details the retrofit project, the expected cost,
and the methods used to calculate the water savings associated with the
retrofit. This information can be obtained through a professional water
audit. The cost of such an audit can also be included in the expected
- Submit project proposals to SAWS for approval prior to start of project.
- SAWS will conduct inspections prior to approval and following project completion to confirm and review the items presented in
- Written notification of the project approval will include a contract with
the terms of the rebate.
- Program policies and procedures are subject to change. Please visit the SAWS Web site for current program information.
Please attach a proposal detailing projected water savings, a complete list of equipment with material and installation cost, a timeline for the project, a conceptual design and the expected equipment life.
Be Sure to Include:
- Total estimated cost of equipment for retrofit
- Estimated equipment life
- Project start date
- Estimated completion date
- Specifics on projects at your facility that can be submetered
- Estimated water savings (average gallons per day)
- Savings for each of the first five years
Terms of Rebate:
- Equipment and projects must remain in use for 10 years or the life of the equipment, whichever is less.
- The water saving project should be in an area that can be submetered or clearly shown to reduce water consumption.
- Water use data must be collected before and after the retrofit and must be reported to SAWS.
- For five years following implementation, participants are required to submit an annual report on the project to SAWS, including water use data.
- Projects must meet all federal, state and local regulatory and permit requirements.
Download and Send Us Your Application:
Commercial Large-Scale Retrofit Program Application 1.8 MB
Adobe Acrobat PDF
Complete the simple application and send it to:
SAWS Conservation Large-Scale Retrofit Program
P.O. Box 2449
San Antonio, TX 78298-2449
Fax to: 210-233-5138
Need the free Adobe® Reader® for PDF files? Click here.