- Paying Your Bill
- Welcome New Customers
- Contacts & Payment Locations
- Do-It-Yourself Repairs
- Plumbing Backed Up?
- Utility Locates Service
- Water & Sewer Rates
- Affordability Programs
- Water Pressure
Plumbers to People
Need plumbing repairs but can't afford them? Help is available!
San Antonio Water System initiated the Plumbers to People program in 1994 to provide plumbing assistance to low-income residential customers seeking repairs to leaking plumbing fixtures in their homes.
Water leaks often go unrepaired. This leads to water waste and high bills for many low-income individuals and families who cannot afford to pay. The Plumbers to People program is designed to break this cycle.
Who is Eligible?
You can apply for the Plumbers to People program if:
- You are a SAWS water customer. (Sewer-only customers are not eligible for this program.)
- You are the homeowner and occupant.
- You meet the income eligibility requirements established by the City of San Antonio Department of Human Services. Income requirements are similar to those for most government assistance programs.
Types of eligible repairs include: leaking faucets, leaking toilets or broken pipes. Problems such as clogged pipes are generally sewer-related and not eligible for this program.
How the Program Works
First, call the Human Services office at 210-207-7830 for an appointment to determine if you qualify for the Plumbers to People program. Here's what follows:
- If you qualify, Human Services will notify SAWS with your contact information.
- SAWS then contacts a plumber under contract. The plumber is given your name, address, phone number and a brief description of the problem.
- The plumber then contacts you directly to arrange a service call. You must keep the appointment. If you cannot keep the appointment, you must call the plumber and cancel 24 hours in advance.
- Only plumbers under contract with SAWS are authorized to make repairs under this program. If you have the repairs made, you are not eligible for reimbursement under this program.
For questions concerning affordability options, please contact us at: email@example.com.