The Community Pipe Repair program (CPR) will help qualified homeowners and renters repair freeze-damaged pipes and restore safe water service. If qualified, you have two ways to access the assistance.
Funding is limited to community donations received. You may donate to the program here.
Two Options for Restoring Service to Your Home
Choose a SAWS plumber
SAWS has licensed plumbers available through a contract who have experience doing home repairs. You may elect to have one of these plumbers come to your home. The number of people requesting and qualifying for this program will determine wait times.
Choose your own plumber
Select a licensed plumber of your choice and submit a receipt for a partial cash a reimbursement. This reimbursement is limited to eligible repairs billed at a maximum hourly rate equal to SAWS-contracted plumbers and parts. Receipts should include a line item for the eligible repair and the cost.
More information is available in our FAQ to help you decide the best option for you.
To qualify you must live in a single-family home (owner or renter) that was valued at $140,000 or less in the 2019 Bexar County tax appraisal.
If your house is valued at more than $140,000, you may still qualify if your total household income is at or below 140 percent of the federal poverty line.
Generally, freeze-damaged pipes that require shutting off water to the entire house to avoid flooding, including:
- Pipes under pier and beam homes.
- Pipes leading to/from water heaters.
- Hose bibs (outdoor faucets).
- Pipes inside exterior or interior walls.
- Main supply lines to the home.
Repairs NOT Covered:
- Irrigation systems including piping, irrigation heads and backflows.
- Pool plumbing and pumps.
- Dripping faucets and showerheads that still allow safe access to water.
- Replacement of water heaters.
- Bringing water heater installations up to code.
- Leaking toilets that still allow safe flushing.