Before you trim the tree — either fresh or artificial — make sure to take precautions to avoid a fire.
Electrical malfunctions don’t discriminate. Both fresh and fake trees can quickly go up in smoke. So take the same safety measures either way.
- Look for a fresh tree with vibrant green needles that don’t break easily. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily.
- Give it a fresh cut — about two inches off the trunk — before you put it in the base.
- Fill the base about 2/3 full with water and refill it daily.
- Place your tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure light cords are not frayed and toss damaged strands.
- Bedtime (or time away from home) means lights out for the tree too.
When your tree begins to drop its needles, it’s time to bid farewell till next year.