If random spring-like temperatures have you itching to get gardening, go for it! There are a few maintenance tasks you can tackle now to prep for spring planting.
- Mow winter weeds repeatedly.
- Pinch back cool season herbs like cilantro, parsley and dill weekly.
- Prune perennials to 3 inches above the ground — but leave frozen plants until the end of February to give wildlife food and shelter.
- Cut back rose branches 1/3 from the tips to a bud.
- Begin planting perennials and shrubs.
For more tips to kickstart your spring garden, visit GardenStyleSA.com.